Monday, September 9, 2013

Top Five

Miss you, Insinkerator!
We have had our share of ups and downs but we finally hit our six month anniversary of arriving in Puerto Rico on September 5th.  Like others who have gone before us, I think six months may just be the magic number for acclimation to a new place.  The distinct comfort that comes with some semblance of understanding one's surroundings has arrived.  Thank God. 
I am happy and find that the seeds I've been trying to plant are sprouting up nicely.  I'm meeting people and starting to make plans with living beings who are not Tommy or Zorra.  
That being said, I do miss a few things from CA that I don't know if I'll ever get over.  Here is a list of the top five things I miss:
1. I'd be a jerk if I didn't write "Friends & Family" here.  It's true though, I miss you guys!
2. Grocery Stores---you statesiders have NO idea how good you have it
3. Laundry Facility accesibility--good, clean laundromats are insanely hard to come by.  Think we are going to buy a washer/dryer soon.  Bucket washing is not cutting it!
4. Garbage Disposals!  I have never seen one here.  
5. Lack of Humidity-it's been great for my skin but it's a constant battle to keep things from getting mildewy

Now, I don't want to end this post on a negative note so I am also including the top 5 things about PR that I love.  Gotta have an "attitude of gratitude":
1. The Beauty---with colorful birds and little yellow butterflies that float through the skies, it's hard not to stop for a second and think "wow"
2. The pace-Island Time is real! And it's sooo nice
3. Community-Rincon especially is a place where people look out for each other.  Puerto Ricans in general are just nicer about helping out fellow humans
4. Warm Ocean Water-I will never EVER get tired of this
5. Our apartment-it's so nice to have a lot of space with a great view.  We are doing a lot in the next month or so to really make it feel like home.  

So there you have it, Folks.  A short post to commemorate our six month anniversary.  Let's see what the next six months have in store!



No comments:

Post a Comment